A Book That Commemorates a Lifetime
We work with you to turn your words
into a beautiful printed book that your family will cherish forever.
Our Custom Memoir Package
Hi, I'm Amy and I will be making your memoir come to life. My process involves coming to your home and spending the day with you while we write down stories and information to be used in your memoir. I'll also help you sort through your photos and memoirs, which will later be scanned and Photoshopped to look their best. My goal is to make your memoir just as beautiful and unique as you are!
If you'd like to call to discuss the process, you can reach me directly at 503-318-1422 or by email at email@example.com.
Memoir Page Examples
A Fun & Personal Interview Process
Even if you have never written a single word about your life, I will help you to create a book that tells your life story, complete with photos. Together we will sit down and I will ask you questions about your past. You are always in charge and can tell me anything you wish. Here is what to expect:
- I come to your place of residence to ask you simple questions about your life.
- I provide you with a legal document stating that I will never share your information or words with anyone.
- We look through your family photos and choose up to 50 meaningful photos to be included in your book.
- Together we create descriptive captions for each photo with important info such as names and dates.
- If you remember a story from a photo, we also record that story to be included in the book.
- I take your photographs and memoirs to be professionally scanned, then return them to you within 48 hours.
The Memoir Creation Process
Next, I transcribe the recorded interview and remove the interviewing questions. I carefully transform your words into a narrative story while also deleting the "ums" and repetitions. My goal is to retain your personality in the story as if you were telling it yourself. The transcribing and writing process often takes 60 hours to complete and I communicate with you all along the way. After this process:
- I immediately send the story to you for approval and edits.
- After you approve, I being the book-making process using advanced book-designing software (InDesign).
- I use Photoshop to improve each photo, often removing graininess or dust particles from older photos.
- I strategically place your photos throughout the memoir and can also create special, themed photo sections.
- I design a front and back cover, and will send you samples to choose from.
- You will have a chance to view the entire book as a PDF, page by page. After you give me your final approval, the book is sent off to be printed!
Pricing & Project Time Expectations
Each memoir varies in time, length, and intensity, so pricing also varies. Please call me at 503-318-1422 to discuss your project so that I can give you a quote.
My general fee includes a large variety of services: the one-day interview process, transcribing the interview, rewriting the story, book cover design, photo manipulation, and professional book design. These tasks often take 100 hours to be done correctly, and I never cut corners. Please note the additional costs listed below:
- You will be charged for the number of books you order to be printed. A good rule of thumb is that each softcover book will cost $30 to print. Softcover or hardcover books influence pricing, and there are discounts for orders over 10 books.
- Additional interview days cost $100 per day.
- Memoirs are typically 50 pages or less (while autobiographies are over 200 pages and novel-length). If you want a full autobiography requiring extra interview days and writing, I will gladly quote you a price.
- I am located in Portland, OR, but are willing to travel. Travel and hotel expenses will need to be paid in most cases.
- The writing and book-making can take up to a month. Printing can also take up to a month. Most projects therefore take two months to complete.
- Half of the estimated cost of the project will need to be paid upfront at the beginning of the process. The rest can be paid after you receive your books.
- You will be asked to sign an uncomplicated contract in regards to payment schedule and terms.
Additional Publishing Services
Some people become so excited about their memoir that they wish to have it published on Amazon and Barnes& Noble. We can do that!
Turning your memoir into an ebook that can be sold online will only cost an additional $200. We'll help you with any questions you might have about the process. It's very exciting to be a published author, and selling your ebook is also a great way to make a little extra cash. We can also help you to sell your printed book on Amazon for a small fee.
Do You Just Need Help Writing Your Memoir?
I do that, too, and only charge $25 an hour to edit and proofread your memoir. I am a talented editor who works hard to preserve your individuality and "voice" while also improving the clarity and grammar in your writing.
I can help you to turn your memoir into a printed book, as well. Please visit the Services Page to learn more about the printed book procedure.